Hey there! Before we get to this delicious Veggie Corn Soup, have a look at these snaps I took on my day out yesterday. Well, they are not food-related but I wanted to share them in my blog post. 🙂
Hope you liked the snaps! 🙂 Now let’s come to our recipe for today. Hmmm… How about a bowl of hot spicy soup on this cold winter evening? It’s full of veggies and very easy to make with a few simple ingredients. This creamy corn soup is quite filling and can be served warm or cold. Why not with a few slices of toasted bread to make a quick and healthy lunch?
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 tomato (peeled)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 4 string beans or some frozen peas
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 tbs cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds or cumin powder
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- few curry leaves (optional)
- 1-2 chopped green chilies (or 1/2 tsp red chilli flakes)
- 3/4 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- milk to blend the corn
- This recipe is adapted from Corn vegetable soup on Manjula’s kitchen.
- This soup can be refrigerated for few days or frozen for later use. If you are planning to freeze then hold the last two cups of water and add it when you are ready to serve.
- Chop the cabbage, carrot, string beans (or use peas instead), tomato, onion, curry leaves and green chilies.
- If using fresh corn kernels, boil them in some water till soft. Keep aside about ¼ cup of corn kernels and blend the rest into a paste, adding enough milk to help in blending.
- You can strain this corn paste for a more uniform texture. But I prefer using it as it is, it would a waste to get rid of the fibres from the blended corn. 🙂
- Mix the cornstarch with about 1/4 cup of water and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add in the cumin seeds or powder and stir for few seconds.
- Add the chopped onions, green chilies/red chili flakes, curry leaves and ginger-garlic paste. Stir for about 1 min till onion is softened.
- Next, add the cabbage, carrot, beans and tomato along with about 1/2 – 1 cup of water. Cover and cook the vegetables on medium heat until they are tender. If using frozen peas add them later with the corn kernels.
- Finally, add the corn paste, corn, cornstarch mixture, and 2 cups of water to the vegetables. Bring the soup to a boil and lower the heat to medium low. Add salt and pepper and let the soup cook for another five minutes. Stir in the lemon juice (optional).
- Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro and serve.