Would you believe me if I say I did not even know how to cook a simple meal for myself until a few months ago?! (That would be around 11 months back.) Unless those famous Mauritian instant noodles, “Mine Apollo”, counted as a real meal. 🙂
Fried Rice was the first true meal I learned to cook for myself. Served as a main dish or side dish, it is one of the world’s most popular rice dishes. I have always thought of Fried Rice as a perfect meal on its own. 🙂
If you’ve never tried making it at home, you should definitely do so!! It comes together super fast with just a few simple ingredient. Turning plain rice into an amazing Fried Rice dish won’t take you more that 10 minutes! And another plus point of making this dish is that you get to use up the leftover cooked rice lying in your fridge since 1 or 2 days. 1 or 2 days-old rice is what works best in this recipe.
Here’s how I make a basic Fried Rice. This is a very adaptable recipe; you can easily add in more seasonings, veggies or cooked meat. 🙂
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups cold cooked rice
- 1 – 2 eggs
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup mixed vegetables; peas, carrots, green beans, sweet corn (frozen or fresh)
- 1 onion
- salt and pepper
- soy sauce / oyster sauce
- red chilli flakes (optional)
- Use cold cooked rice which is atleast 1 day old. Since it is drier, there’ll be less chance for your fried rice turning wet and mushy.
- If ever you don’t have cooked rice on hand, place a batch of freshly cooked rice in the freezer for about 20 minutes before using. (I have not tried this yet)
- Fresh veggies can be used instead of frozen, but they’ll have to be precooked first.
- Finely chop the onion. Lightly beat the egg with some salt.
- In a wok or frying pan on medium heat, add 1 – 2 tbs oil. Add in the beaten egg and stir till scrambled and set. Remove and keep aside. The egg can also be fried and cut into strips if you prefer it that way.
- Next stir fry the chopped onion with 1/2 tbs oil till lightly browned. Remove and keep aside.
- Add the mixed veggies to the pan with a dash of salt and 1 tbs oil and stir fry for 1 – 2 minutes. Remove and keep aside.
- Place your rice in the pan along with 2 tbs oil; breaking any lumps if present. Season with salt, pepper, red chili flakes, soy sauce and/or oyster sauce according to your taste. Stir fry for few minutes.
- Finally add the egg, onion and veggies back into the pan and mix thoroughly. Serve warm.
Bon Appetit! 🙂