The last few mornings have been so cold that I find it hard to get out of bed till my stomach starts rumbling. Being on extended vacations right now, I have all the leisure time to have a proper breakfast or brunch. 🙂 While browsing through the Allrecipes website I came across several egg puff recipes, something new to me. I used them as a base to make up my own version with the ingredients I had on hand and came up with this cheese egg puff recipe. You can whip up this simple and easy egg dish in a few minutes and throw it in the oven. It’s perfect for cold winter mornings; warm, cheesy and very filling as well. 🙂 Try it and you’ll love it. I think it would be great as a snack as well, cut into cubes and served with some hot sauce of your choice.
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- grated cheese (cheddar)
- veggies of your choice
- Red chili flakes (optional)
- I scaled down the ingredients to one egg which makes a single serving.
- This is a very adaptable recipe!! I have written the basic ingredients. You can adapt it easily according to your taste and preferences.
- You can use frozen or fresh veggies (green peas, carrot, maize, broccoli, etc) 🙂 Some of them might need to be sautéed beforehand. Add in chopped onions, scallions, green chilies, chopped bell peppers, or ginger-garlic paste… Use various seasonings, spices or herbs. Well, you have an innumerable amount of possibilities in front of you! 🙂
- I have not mentioned the amount of cheese or veggies to add as I never measured it. 🙂 Just add in as much as you want. I usually like mine very cheesy. Also I used Cheddar cheese, should try it with other types of cheese as well.
- Pre-cooked meat or sausage can also be added. Why not use leftover meat from last night’s dinner to make a delicious breakfast?!
- I ommited butter in the recipe and used it only to grease my baking dish.
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees C. Grease your baking dish with butter.
- Combine egg, flour, salt, chili flakes and baking powder until smooth. You can use a blender if making a larger batch. Add in any additional seasonings at this point.
- Fold in grated cheese and veggies. Pour into baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until firm in the center, about 20-30 minutes. A knife inserted into the center should come out clean.
Cut into slices and serve warm with homemade salsa or chili sauce… 🙂