Merry Christmas to all of you!!! 🙂
I started this post 2 days back but couldn’t get back to it until now. I’m hoping to finish the writing and editing by tonight, so I’ll keep it short.
Here’s what you can bake if you want something different from your usual cookies for the holiday seasons. 🙂 These rich Cardamom Cookies are one of my favorites and will surely impress family and friends. Recipe adapted from here.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cardamom (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt (if using unsalted butter)
- 6 – 7 tbs softened butter (room temperature)
- vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 tbs powdered sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground cardamom
- sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a baking sheet.
- If using whole almonds, grind them with about 1 tsp sugar to a powder. I used whole almonds with their skin but you can blanch them if you want.
- Powder the sugar in your grinder.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cardamom, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy. Add some vanilla extract if desired.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture and ground almonds. Mix well to obtain a uniform cookie dough. (I finished the mixing by hand)
- In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and cardamom. Shape dough into small balls (or of desired size), and coat with the sugar-spice mixture. Place on baking sheet and flatten cookies with your palm or the bottom of a glass.
- Decorate with sliced almonds if desired. I made designs on top with the back of a knife.
- Bake cookies for 12 – 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove sheets to wire racks to cool for few minutes and then transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
Enjoy your holidays with these delicious treats! 🙂