Have you ever spent hours looking for a recipe and not being satisfied with any? Hmmm… I went through loads of recipes before I baked this cake few months back. Not that the recipes I found were not good enough! They were just not what I was looking for at that moment. 🙂 In the end, I came up with this chocolate cake recipe. It’s kind of very simple, but I was so excited that I came up with a recipe on my own and that it worked perfectly!
Chocolate, almond extract and lemons… This is what I started with. And yeah; I was baking this for S! 🙂 So, obviously chocolate and almond flavor were my first choice since he loves them. As for the lemons, well, they were lying around in the fridge and I wanted to use them up. 🙂
Eventually I ended up leaving the lemons out. A sweet lemon glaze would have been nice over the cake but it did not need any. The cake is sooo delicious on its own! 🙂
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 – 5 tbs cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs ( OR 1 egg + 4 tbs plain yogurt )
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees c. Grease and flour a baking dish.
- In a large bowl, add sugar and butter and beat till light and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. (OR egg + yogurt) Mix in the almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and baking soda. (You can add in ¼ tsp salt if using unsalted butter)
- Fold in the flour mixture into the egg-butter mixture, alternating with the milk. DO NOT over mix.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle some sliced almonds on top if desired. Bake at 190 degrees C for 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
EGGLESS VERSION :
- Use 8 tbs of plain yogurt + 1 tbs vinegar instead of the eggs. Also, increase the baking soda to 1 tsp.
- The batter will be thicker when making the eggless version, but once baked the cake will be as light and yummy as the ones with eggs! 🙂
Try it out and your feedbacks are most welcome! 🙂