I never paid much attention to these fruits (Yes! They are fruits!), until I started making pizza and pasta sauces. I’m not a big fan of tomatoes but when I saw these, I couldn’t help but think how gorgeous they look. 🙂
To be able to experience their freshness to the most, I made a simple and easy Salade Pomme D’amour. Tomato salad, which I find quite similar to the Mexican salsa, is part of the typical Mauritian cuisine. It is commonly served as an accompaniment to rice dishes such as Briani.
This is what I could call an un-recipe according to Mandy from The Complete Cook Book. 🙂 That is, something that doesn’t require any cooking and with just a few ingredients.
- 4 – 5 medium sized tomatoes (I used one of those big ones!)
- 1 onion
- a small bunch of fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 – 2 green chillies
- Cut the tomatoes into half and remove the seeds. Chop into small cubes.
- Finely chop the onion, coriander and green chili.
- Mix all together. Add salt and stir just before serving.
Did you know that tomatoes are rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant? This helps in fighting against cancer, heart disease and premature aging. They are also high in vitamins such as vitamin C and A. 🙂
Now, this is a perfect lunch; a delicious Mauritian briani along with some fresh Salade Pomme D’amour. Miam Miam!!! 🙂