Yes! 🙂 You can have a Chocolate Cake ready within just 5 minutes! This is no fancy cake and surely can’t replace an oven baked one, but works perfectly if you need a quick chocolate fix. This recipe saves the day whenever I have a late night chocolate craving. 🙂 Make sure you save this; you never know when you might need it!
You must be wondering why there’s no cake in the mug. I always end up eating the cake as quickly as I made it. 🙂
- 4 tbs all purpose flour
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 8 – 9 tbs water
- 4 tbs milk powder (can omit if using milk instead of water)
- 1 tsp instant coffee (optional)
- vanilla or almond essence (optional)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Did I mention it is fat free?! That makes the chocolate cake even more tempting for me. 🙂 You can add in 1 tbs of melted butter or vegetable oil; but I guess it won’t be guilt-free anymore then.
Last time I baked this in small microwave safe bowl instead of mug just to take proper photo. This cake is soft, warm and slightly chewy. It tastes quite good for something that takes virtually no time to prepare. 🙂
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, milk powder, instant coffee and baking powder in a microwave safe mug.
- Add the water or milk and few drops of vanilla or almond extract. Stir it to form a uniform mixture. Make sure you scrape the bottom of the mug well so that all the flour is mixed in.
- Microwave on high (900W) for 1 min 10 secs. You may increase the time by 10 seconds more till the top is dry. The key to successful microwave baking is to cook it until it’s just set. Don’t be tempted to cook the cake for longer else you’ll end up with a rubbery inedible cake! (You will need to adjust the time if you double or triple the recipe)
- The cake will rise and then fall once remove from the microwave. Let it rest for 1 or 2 minutes and then enjoy!
You can add some whipped cream or ice cream on top to make a yummy dessert. 🙂
I know this is a single serving mug cake recipe but here I’ve tripled the recipe and baked it in a small microwave safe bowl. 🙂 I simply couldn’t wait to try this peanut butter frosting and baking a cake in the oven would definitely have taken much more than 5 minutes!