I wasn’t expecting much when I attempted these brownies for the first time and I came up with amazingly moist and chocolatey brownies within 1 hour! Since the original recipe was vegan, I tweaked it little bit after reading the reviews. These are not just good but an excellent eggless version of chocolate brownies.
The photo above is of my first attempt at these brownies. They turned out a bit dense but still very delicious! It is important not to over stir the batter to make sure your brownies are more cake-like and not dense. 🙂 I would suggest that you mix the batter by hand with a spoon or spatula, which is what I do now. It is sooo much quick and simple. I must warn all those who can’t resist chocolate desserts; once you try this, you’ll find yourself making these brownies anytime you have a chocolate craving!
For a 10 × 25 cm baking dish or cake pan.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 – 6 tbs cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk / buttermilk
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or substitute with melted butter)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Chopped peanuts or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 175 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, pour in the milk or buttermilk, vegetable oil and vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture into this and stir until just mixed. DO NOT OVERMIX. If using peanuts, stir in some chopped peanuts into the batter and keep some for topping.
- Spread the batter evenly in a greased baking dish. Top with some chopped peanuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven at 175 degrees C, until the top is no longer shiny.
- Allow cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
- I adapted this recipe from vegan brownies recipe. For vegan version, substitute water for milk and use vegetable oil.
- I have tried this recipe both with vegetable oil and melted butter. I must say I was anxious about using oil, but it turned out perfectly delicious and yummy! 🙂 The original recipe called for ½ cup of oil. It can be reduced to 1/3 or 1/4 cup with the same excellent result. You can also substitute part of the fat with unsweetened applesauce for a healthier version.
- Don’t be alarmed if you find your batter a bit thick, but make sure you spread it evenly in your baking dish. Also if you are using only 1/4 cup oil, then I suggest you increase the amount of milk by 1/4 cup.
- If you love the combination of coffee and chocolate, add 1 or 2 tsp of instant coffee powder to the batter. (dissolve it in the milk)
Enjoy this delicious treat with some vanilla ice cream! 🙂 Brownies with ice cream is one of my favourite desserts. Double or triple the recipe at your own risk; once you have a bite you won’t be able to stop eating these!!