For my first cupcake adventure I chose this eggless orange cupcake recipe from Pure Enjoyment… 🙂 And I ended up with quite a mess. But wait!! Don’t give up on the recipe yet! These cupcakes are perfect with just the right intensity of orange flavor and I was surprised how good they taste despite being eggless! I’m sure many of you must be having oranges stacking up in the fridge or fruit basket. Well here’s a way to use them up. 🙂
Then why did I say it was a mess?? 🙂 That’s all thanks to my amateur baking skills. Though I don’t think anyone ever made the stupid mistake that I made. I tried to bake cupcakes without a cupcake or muffin tray by filling the batter into paper cups used for lining the baking cups and I placed them on my baking tray. Well obviously these started spreading out even before I put then in the oven. Finally all I had was a flattened layer of “cupcakes” on my baking tray which atleast tasted great. 🙂 Luckily I was able to salvage some of the not-so-strange looking ones to take few photos.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 100g butter, room temperature (about 7 tbs)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup icing sugar (according to taste)
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 200ml freshly squeezed orange juice, unsifted (about 3 oranges)
- zest from 1 orange
- Preheat your oven to 170°C.
- Sieve together the flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Cream the icing (powdered) sugar and butter till light and fluffy. ( you can make your own icing sugar from granulated sugar using a grinder. 🙂 )
- Add the evaporated milk and orange juice and mix. ( The butter will be separated from the liquid after adding in the orange juice )
- Gradually add the flour mixture and orange zest to this, using a fork or spatula to fold in until well combined. ( Do not overmix when adding the flour else your cake won’t rise )
- Fill your baking cups to about 3/4 full and bake at 170°C for 25-30 mins.
If you are feeling lazy to bake in the oven, then try out this microwave version! The cupcakes might not look as good as the oven baked ones but they are equally tasty. 🙂 You will need to adjust the cooking time depending on your microwave oven. About 60 secs at 900 watts should be enough for these small cupcakes. Add in 10-20 secs more if you find the top still well but be careful not too cook it for too long in microwave else you’ll end up with a hard and rubbery cake once it cools.