Hi friends! I’ve been quite absent from the blogging world lately. Hopefully I didn’t miss too many posts from my favorite blogs. I have lot of catching up to do once I finish writing this one. :-)
This weekend we got to enjoy a cyclonic weather in Mauritius after such a long time! :-) Despite the cyclone warning class 2 issued on Saturday morning, I had lunch out with S after half day at work. The evening was spent cooking some delicious spaghetti with homemade Marinara Sauce, which I enjoyed while watching the latest episodes of Greys Anatomy.
Marinara (mariner’s) sauce is a southern Italian tomato sauce usually made with tomatoes, garlic, herbs (such as basil), and onion. Traditional Italian cuisine utilizes this sauce to add flavor to pasta, rice, seafood and pizza. A nice pile of spaghetti topped with homemade marinara sauce is definitely one of my favorite meals! This recipe is fast and easy to prepare, and you can easily adapt it according to your taste. I love mine with extra herbs and a lot more of chili flakes!
- 1 1/2 tbs olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 big onion
- 1/2 c tomato puree
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes (6 – 7) or canned tomatoes
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 small carrot grated (optional)
- 1 – 2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tbs chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbs fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Blend the chopped fresh tomatoes with some water to obtain a paste. Finely chop the onion and garlic.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil. If using grated carrot, add it to the skillet and stir for few minutes more.
- Add the tomato puree, blended tomato paste to the pan along with the remaining ingredients.
- Add some water if needed and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes or till thickened to the desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Adjust the salt, pepper and herbs according to your taste.
- If you like your sauce to be smooth, blend it once cooled. The sauce can be prepared beforehand and stored in the fridge.
Spaghetti alla marinara
Boil your spaghetti (or pasta of your choice) in salted water until “al dente”. Keep some of the marinara sauce (about 2/3) aside and add the cooked spaghetti to the pan. Toss till well coated and place on the serving plate. Top with the Marinara sauce and grated cheese. Serve warm!
I usually like to mix in my spaghetti with all the sauce and top it with lots of cheese. Yummy!! Bon appetit!